The posts below are my assignments and experiences while I Explore Alaska!

Monday, October 18, 2010

Module #2 - 3 Colleagues

This week I thought that I would check out the blog sites for some of my fellow collegues teaching in Juneau Middle Schools. 
  • I first visited my coach and business teacher in High School, Kevin Hamrick's blogsite. I learned that he is also teaching his first year of 7th/8th Grade General Science at the other Middle School. One of his favorite places to spend time, Coglan Island, is also one of mine. I like the background of the site and especially enjoyed the google earth images he used in his first post. 
  • Next, I visited another teacher from Juneau Sandi Pahlke's blogsite. I like the look and tone of her blogsite. I really related to what she said in her "Its All About connections!" post. It looks like we both feel the struggles and work it takes from a teacher who wants to connect the curriculum to students. She states that finding a balance between teaching the western science curriculum and traditional native knowledge can help put "those pieces" (connections) back into place. I definitely agree! Sandi's blog will be one that I keep checking through out the course. 
  • Last, I visited my teaching partner for Science at Dzantik'i Henni, Mike Olsen's blogsite. Although this is his first official year teaching, Mike is already a great teacher and I have really enjoyed working with him planning our General Science course. Sharing good teaching practices is an extremely rewarding and beneficial endeavor and I find Mike to be a wealth of knowledge and experience. His classroom blogsite is also great.
Its was great to see the local teachers that are participating in this course and get to see the multiple perspectives that they shared. 

1 comment: