The posts below are my assignments and experiences while I Explore Alaska!

Monday, October 18, 2010

Module #2 - 3 Questions

"Everything is Connected"
EXPLAIN:
I have always felt the interconnections between our lives and the different ways of knowing. This module helped to cement those ideals in me and expand my knowledge about the connections between indigenous peoples and Western scientists. I have always valued the sharing of different perspectives and ways of doing in my classroom. Early in my education I learned that having a more holistic view and understanding allowed me to better grasp material presented. I saw the challenge it was for a traditional classroom teacher to balance the presentation of these different perspectives and ways of learning. 

From the "Cultural Connections" module I learned more about the struggles that I, and many of my students face when trying to learn material that doesn’t “fit” their ways of learning or their lives. I have seen that learning and teaching concepts through a native knowledge framework are beneficial to teacher and student (holistic, applied, integrated, respectful, local, etc.)
Although most of the Public Education curriculum in Science is focused around a Western science way learning, with the identification of a common ground made between traditional native knowledge and western science, a balanced approach can and should be made. Teachers should teach the material to their students. By that I mean, teaching concepts to students in a way that they will learn it and not just be pushed through it. To do this effectively the teacher needs to deliver the curriculum in the best way for the students to learn. This is best done by identifying students needs and multiple ways of learning (common ground between both ways of knowing).

EXTEND:
The most useful resources in this module are those that identify this common ground between native and western science. I believe that I will be a more effective educator if I can explore the interconnection between life and learning in my classroom. I want to work to expose students to the abundance of interconnections that we share with the universe. Teaching science is a great way to do this and I have already found many resources on Teachers Domain (TD) to use. These are just a few of the resources that I am looking at using in my classes this year.

Alaska Native Ways of Knowing - In this lesson students prepare classroom science fair projects that demonstrate the application of traditional knowledge to a scientific topic.
The Process of Scientific Experimentation - In this lesson students expand their understanding of the "scientific method" of experimentation by watching video accounts of actual scientific research and exploring the factors involved in real scientific processes.

Observing Snow  - This is a curriculum that challenges students to make connections between academics and traditional native knowledge while studying natural resources in their own community.

EVALUATE:
I found the module's information and resources extremely useful for me. An immediate impact that it will have is in providing me with a better understanding of my students (native and non-native) learning styles when it comes to Science. The overall theme of connectedness provides more evidence and materials towards an approach that I already use to teach the Science curriculum. The usefulness of technology resources will aid in delivering the curriculum (TD, Google Earth, etc.) in differently engaging ways. I am excited to incorporate lessons and units that are relevant and powerful.

1 comment:

  1. I too found many resources just from this first assignment! I hope to find a way to use more of them in my class soon..... I currently just talk about some of the Alaska Native science knowledge that I have picked up through my own experiences in the Alaska bush and other classes I have taken. I would really like to get more "hands on" in this area in the future. Like you, making science meaningful to the individual is one thing I hope to take from this class and incorporate with my students.

    ReplyDelete